Welcome to Synthesizer New Zealand, don't forget to register here! Note: This notification disappears after registration.

Let's talk waveforms!

All not specific type of conversations go here into the general discussions.
Robin

Let's talk waveforms!

Unread post by Robin »

In electronic music waveshaping is a type of distortion synthesis in which complex spectra are produced from simple tones by altering the shape of the waveforms. Couple of questions jump to mind like:
  • What is your favourite waveform? Which module is best at creating them?
  • If folding, what modules do you use to bring it in the desired shape?
Let's start the discussion and see how complex we can get ;)

Waveforms-names.jpg
Enthusiastic synthesist performing under the name Vōlc. Follow me on YouTube or BandCamp.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
drxcm

Re: Let's talk waveforms!

Unread post by drxcm »

Sine waves all the way for me! Love FM and wavefolding.
My favorite site generators are either self oscillating filters or digital (e370). Pinging resonant filters is glorious too.

Huge fan of the Joranalogue Fold6 for wavefolding and Instruo Tanh for it’s warmth.

That said, a fat saw through the right filter is also glorious.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
orbist
Fresh Synthesist
Fresh Synthesist

Unread post by orbist »

Sawtooth or sharktooth definitely has the most harmonics so you can easily get a lot of tonal adjustment out of a stock filter etc.

I have to say, one of the reasons I love the 303 sound is due to the terrible attempt it makes of a square. The flat top of the square isn't flat, it is more of a curve, with an offset spike towards the front of the wave. It's what gives it the extra oomph that most "perfect" squares can't achieve. Will see if I can grab a scope pic to explain better.

Syncing a saw with a pulse gives a nice triangle effect to the pulse, which again gives the wave heft.

Watching waveforms on a scope is really helpful to determine what it is that makes you enjoy a particular sound.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Robin

Unread post by Robin »

orbist wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:22 pm Sawtooth or sharktooth definitely has the most harmonics so you can easily get a lot of tonal adjustment out of a stock filter etc.

I have to say, one of the reasons I love the 303 sound is due to the terrible attempt it makes of a square. The flat top of the square isn't flat, it is more of a curve, with an offset spike towards the front of the wave. It's what gives it the extra oomph that most "perfect" squares can't achieve. Will see if I can grab a scope pic to explain better.

Syncing a saw with a pulse gives a nice triangle effect to the pulse, which again gives the wave heft.

Watching waveforms on a scope is really helpful to determine what it is that makes you enjoy a particular sound.
What scope are you using @orbist? In your case or outside of the box?

I’ve been on the hunt to buy a scope for a long time now, can’t decide on what works best so would be good to know some pros and cons.
Enthusiastic synthesist performing under the name Vōlc. Follow me on YouTube or BandCamp.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
drxcm

Unread post by drxcm »

I've had a few Tektronics and they are great for visuals and measurement, but bulky, and fan noise were a bummer - plus having to make up cables. For many years I've had a Jones O'Tool + and it is great, but only 2 channels and small screen. Have a Mordax Data incoming which I think will serve all my needs for a modular scope. The O'Tool has some nice functions though and pretty cheap on HP. Not sure they are still available though

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Robin

Unread post by Robin »

drxcm wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:55 pm I've had a few Tektronics and they are great for visuals and measurement, but bulky, and fan noise were a bummer - plus having to make up cables. For many years I've had a Jones O'Tool + and it is great, but only 2 channels and small screen. Have a Mordax Data incoming which I think will serve all my needs for a modular scope. The O'Tool has some nice functions though and pretty cheap on HP. Not sure they are still available though
I would be very keen to hear your opinion on the Mordax Data, had my eye on them but they have been out of stock for quite a while and I don’t think many people in New Zealand have one, or at least are selling them 😂

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
drxcm

Unread post by drxcm »

The Mordax is in stock at several of my usual haunts right now and has been pretty available for the last few months.

It’s going to be great I reckon, if you can spare the HP i think its a no brainer, especially with the LFO and clock divider functions it also brings - pretty handy!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
orbist
Fresh Synthesist
Fresh Synthesist

Unread post by orbist »

I built one of the pusherman DSO150 modules, was good for the price, a little limited but was wasting space in the rack. As I want to probe around when building (debuging) I got a digitech USB module from jaycar. Just plugs into the laptop and use the open-hantech software on my Mac for the display. Works great for DC signals and allows for probing, used it extensively this week to work out why my Progue had no waveform coming from VCO2. Can really trace signals around a board with it, essential when doing bigger DIY projects.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links