Welcome to Synthesizer New Zealand, don't forget to register here! Note: This notification disappears after registration.

NLC Triple Sloth

Andrew from NLC (Nonlinearcircuits) manufacturing modules in Western Australia.

Moderator: Nonlinearcircuits

Robin

NLC Triple Sloth

Unread post by Robin »

Hey guys, I believe this is one of Nonlinearcircuit's best sellers. What are your thoughts?

I'd be keen to know who has one of these Sloths? Any advice on how to use it? Love the black faceplates but would be great in the standard silver as well :D

Simple video of what it actually does on the oscilloscope:

From the manufacturer's website:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This module contains 3 Sloth chaos circuits. Each one runs at a different rate; Torpor takes approx. 15-30 seconds to travel around 2 strange attractors, Apathy takes 60-90 seconds and Inertia takes 30-40 minutes.

There are no controls for Inertia, it does what it wants.

The pots for Apathy and Torpor do not specifically alter the frequencies, rather the weight of the outputs. Various settings will cause the signals to spend more time traveling around one strange attractor rather than the other.

Apathy and Torpor also have CV inputs. Sometimes the CV signals are injected onto the chaotic signals but depending upon conditions may cause windows of periodicity or voltage jumps. Generally the results are good.

The X, Y & Z outputs for each Sloth are taken from different stages of the circuit and are all different to each other, although Z is simply the inverted version of Y. The three Z outputs are also fed into a Difference Rectifier and the results of this are available from the + and – outputs at the bottom of the panel. The Difference Rectifier outputs are (ignoring diode voltage drops):

out + = VApathy +VInertia - VTorpor If greater than 0, otherwise 0
out - = VApathy +VInertia - VTorpor If less than 0, otherwise 0

Size: 8 HP
Manufacturer's website: https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/modul ... iple-sloth
tripsloths.jpg
tripsloths.jpg (46.1 KiB) Viewed 6096 times
Enthusiastic synthesist performing under the name Vōlc. Follow me on YouTube or BandCamp.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
alanp
Fresh Synthesist
Fresh Synthesist

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Unread post by alanp »

Very, very well done video of how the Sloth circuit works. AndrewF linked this on another place.
http://alanp.info
Solder junkie

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Robin

Unread post by Robin »

That’s a great explanation as well Alan, do you own a NLC Sloth?
Enthusiastic synthesist performing under the name Vōlc. Follow me on YouTube or BandCamp.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
alanp
Fresh Synthesist
Fresh Synthesist

Unread post by alanp »

2 Triple sloths and an old Single. Video is not mine, BTW.
http://alanp.info
Solder junkie

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links